Thursday, January 7, 2010

The Fall of Advertising & the rise of PR

I just finished reading The Fall of Advertising & the rise of PR by Al Ries and Laura Ries and I must say that I didnt really like it.Tthe thesis of the book is that Marketing Companies are doing it wrong trying to start a new brand by using Advertising, when they should be using PR. It went on to say that Advertising lacked credibility and that PR could be trusted.

My biggest issue with the book was that the same things were repeated over and over again... it like come on! Maybe repeating it to summarize would be ok but to talk about it again in a later chapter was just over kill.

Most of the book was examples of how the author thought companies failed or succeeded and really wasnt all that helpful.

Another part that sticks out in my mind is that he says that 3g phones werent going to become big. This was only in 2002! I was 16 and knew that they were going to be big.

Anyways, Im not going to say that the book was useless and that people shouldnt read it, because others might find it useful. I didnt.

No comments:

Post a Comment